The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences confirmed in a statement that Will Smith will be banned from attending the Academy Awards for the next ten years as a result of his hitting comedian Chris Rock on stage during this year’s Oscar ceremony.
“The Board has decided that Mr. Smith will not be authorised to attend any Academy events or programmes, in person or digitally, for a period of ten years beginning April 8, 2022,” Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson said in a statement on Friday.
The decision was taken during a Board of Governors meeting in Los Angeles earlier that day. After Smith announced his retirement from the Academy last week, the meeting, which was originally set for April 18, was pushed up.
Smith’s remark on his ten-year exile from the Oscars was brief and to-the-point.
Smith’s resignation means he is no longer a voting member of the Academy, but it does not exclude him from being nominated in the future.
Smith The day following the event, on social media, he openly apologised to Rock.
Smith reportedly contacted the show’s producer, Will Packer, the next morning, apologising and expressing his embarrassment, according to the producer.
Packer said officials from the Los Angeles Police Department were ready to arrest Smith for battery during the interview with “GMA,” but Rock said he didn’t want that.
“Deep thanks to Mr. Rock for retaining his cool under unusual circumstances,” the Academy wrote in its letter.
The letter added, “This action we are taking today in response to Will Smith’s behaviour is a step toward a greater goal of ensuring the safety of our performers and guests and rebuilding trust in the Academy.”
“We also hope that today will mark the start of a period of healing and repair for all those engaged and affected.”